Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I'm Back. Now Don personally.

I am back after a short hiatus. My wife and I celebrated our 43rd anniversary with our kids and grandkids and it was very enjoyable. I love my wife and my kids and are amazed by the kind of kids they are. I am proud of them and proud of my daughters-in-law too. Both of them had their own struggles growing up, but are alright and doing well. My grandkids are all in school now and that is fun to see. They are great and doing outstanding in school.

When I met Don, he was living in a small town in Oklahoma where he was well known. He lived in the biggest and nicest house there and had 180 acres for livestock, barns, his office building and his horse operation. He was married to his second wife and he claimed to have 9 kids. Some of the kids were, indeed, his but some were adopted or just strays that had lost their way. He picked them up from time to time and attempted to get them on their feet or reconciled to their families. He was a tough Dad, very tough, probably too tough. None of his kids really wanted to be around him but they were all amazed by him. At one time or another, they all tried to work for Don or one of his businesses. To no avail. Did not work out well. There were some bad apples but now they are all doing pretty well. One is in serious trouble, but he is the odd man out.

If the kids went to college and wanted his help, he would give it. However, if they wasted money or time, Don did not handle that well. In the end, some went to college, some went to work and others distanced themselves from him for a plethora of reasons. But he did do one thing for them all. He bought them a house. One of his kids was presumed to be backward. One he adopted. However, he loved Don and his wife and, even though he did not do well in school, he did well in work. Don got him a house in a very nice neighborhood in a bigger city where he worked. He was so appreciative and worked hard. Sure he frustrated Don, but he hung in there and built a new life for himself and is a great guy.

Don was generous to the local school system and he helped people especially at Christmastime. For years, I dressed up as Santa and visited the children of couples in my Sunday School class. Each year I would go to his annual Christmas Party, in which he invited hundreds, He would provide Christmas presents for all the kids and some of the adults. Then he and I would jump into his BMW and deliver Christmas gifts to kids all over the county that were either not going to get anything or would have a meager Christmas. Some people said he was trying to buy love. Others said he was buying friendship. Possibly, But I think he remembered his life growing up on the streets of Chicago, fending for himself and did not want others he cared for to have that experience.

More later. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment