Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Peter Principle again

Do you know what the Peter Principle is? It is a book by the same name written by Laurence Peter probably 30 years ago. But like many of those era writings, it still applies to business today. The book was written, primarily, to call attention to the stupid and inane things managers (at all levels) do in companies rather than do the right thing for the company and the person.

Over the next few days or weeks, I am going to write about some of those main topics and attempt to get your reaction. With unemployment very high and businesses shrinking rather than expanding (at least until you get all that government money to help you out) and people less hopeful and less excited about the future than in many years, it is important to look at your business and determine what you are going to do and where you want to end up. Even if you are a 2 or 3 person company, it is time to prepare a strategic plan. Nothing as sophisticated as the what he auto makers did for Congress, but "what if" scenarios like:
1. What if my business mostly or totally dried up?
2. What if I cannot pay my employees?
3. What if I need to cut work hours and wages?
4. What if my customer base changes?
5. Do I have other options. Can I change or shift my business to meet current needs?
6. Should I take less money and put as much as possible in a "rainy day" fund?
7. What is the competition doing that I should or should not do?
8. What are my companies strengths, weaknesses, alternatives and terrors?
9. Is my strongest asset Customer Service? How can I make it that way?
10. Have I prayed about the business and sought God's help and direction?

Try the exercise even if your business is doing well right now and the future looks bright. So did the auto industry 2 years ago.

What do you thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment